When We Speak TV - BLOG

CHECK THIS OUT!




Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Back Up Does Not Mean Cover Up!

Sometimes I wonder why you don't see many groups anymore.....I'm not saying that they don't exist because they do! I just wonder why there aren't as many...For example name some groups of the 90s.........(I bet you were able to name at least three!)   

Now, name a group of today!

(Want me to give you more time?)

It seems that everyone is only out for themselves now! I'm not saying that you shouldn't look out for yourself but I think that everyone always wants to be out front (ALONE!)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! But what I learned happened with this is: we stopped appreciating the value and harmonies that more than one vocalist can bring! I've seen and meet alot of great solo vocalists but can you name one that can sing harmonies simultaneously? ME NEITHER!!!! So although some people have great voices, their voice is at it's essence's peak when accompanied with other vocals.....That doesn't discredit them in any way!

I said that to say that I believe that's how we got to not understanding and appreciating the value of the background singer. Well I wouldn't say this is true for most "singers" and "artist" because I would hope that they understand the dimensions that great backup vocals can bring to a song or performance. I think is more so, non musical people that I'm referring to....I've heard so many people say stuff like..."She just sings background" or "The should put him in the background cause he can't sing"............ WHEN DID "BACKGROUND" START BEING "WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU NOT THAT GOOD OF A SINGER"?


.......With this in mind, I keep trying to think of how I could do my part to change that perception, so I started thinking about a few people that I've seen singing backup vocals on the regular that I know can "SANG!"....... Then I thought of one person I could talk to......... Crissy Collins!
I had no idea how I would get Crissy Collins to join me on When We Speak. I had never met her, I had only been to her shows and we had been in a few of the same places at the same time. So I just added her name in my prayer journal and went on.




















Why did I want to speak with Crissy so badly? Well, she has been singing backup for a long time with artists like Kelly Price and Beyonce. Not only that she sang with B. Chase Williams and Shabach for many years too! Who better to speak with?



TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT....... God opened the door for me to finally meet Crissy one on one, and she accepted the interview!
NOW YOU TELL ME IF YOU STILL THINK THE BACKGROUND IS FOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T SING!

No comments:

Post a Comment





Jermaine Sain is the host/ creator of a talk show called When We Speak. After exiting the U.S. Army in 2003, as a Medical Sergeant, Jermaine began pursuing a career in music after he auditioned for American Idol in 2005, in Austin, Texas.


In 2008, Jermaine moved to Atlanta where he has had the opportunity to provide backing vocals for Kem (Grammy nominated R&B Singer) Heart (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), and Barry Manilow, as well as for companies such as Pink Ribbon Story Foundation and Verizon Wireless. He made his first music video appearance in Kem's Glorify The King.


Jermaine's talk show, When We Speak, caters to entertainment with a close focus on indie music professionals.

When We Speak TV Store

The When We Speak TV Daily